Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Taking the Good With the Bad

Interesting goings on at work lately. Lots of closed-door discussions among the command staff. The rumor mill is operating at 150%. Word on the street is that there are several changes forthcoming. The whole place is buzzing. Don't you just love this shit?

Of course, I normally pay little to no attention to that kind of stuff since it rarely affects me. Although, this time it seems that it will. Nothing has been said "officially," it sounds like yours truly is about to be transferred.

I was approached last week by one of my Lieutenants and was given a sort of "heads up" that something might be happening. And I was told yesterday to keep myself available this afternoon should any of the "White Shirts" (what I affectionately refer to anyone that's a Lieutenant or higher) wish to speak with me. Well, no one talked to me today, and I'm not sure when they will. But something is definitely happening.

Extremely long story short is that apparently the command staff is unhappy with the performance of a certain patrol supervisor. They want to move him out of his position. When they do that, they want me to transfer back into the Patrol Division and take over that squad.

I'm not particularly upset about that. I worked patrol for the better part of 10 years before becoming a detective. So it isn't like I don't know how to do it. Plus, being a street supervisor, in my opinion, is actually easier than what I'm doing now. Not to mention that, despite it being shift work, patrol guys actually work fewer days out of the month (12 hour shifts). Oh, and the best part - not being on-call anymore. I work my 12 hour shift and go home. So the concept of less work, less time at work and the same pay is slightly appealing. I would have to give up my unmarked car (which is cool since I'd get one of the brand new marked cars), and my usual uniform of jeans and a shirt. But I look okay in my uniform, so I guess I'll survive.

I'm hoping to know something definite by the end of this week. If it happens, I'm probably going to my new squad sometime next month. Oddly enough, I'm kind of looking forward to the change. Let's hope it all goes smoothly.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Well, whew! I thought when you said transferred you meant out of state and then where would I be without my buddy who, uh, doesn't come to visit, or write or even act like he knows me! hahah

Kidding. Glad you'll be staying around and I do miss you. Drop me a line and let me know what's the haps.

:)

10:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Change is good. We all need it once in a while. As long as you'll be happy with it, that's all that matters. :) Keeping everything crossed that you hear something soon!

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P - It's been 6 days!!! What happened??? Enquiring/nosey minds that are bored shit-less at work need to know!

Kim

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home