Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Will Work For Toys

I think it should go without saying anymore that my job sometimes has a way of kicking me in the ass. I was on-call last week, which is usually no big deal. But it seemed like my phone would never stop ringing. I was happy that Sunday would be my last day on-call for the week. That was until 6:30 Sunday morning when my phone rang, yet again. Only in the ghetto-riffic place that I work in would there be a shooting at that hour on a Sunday morning. So, barely awake, I drag my ass into work to deal with the transsexual prostitute that got shot in her apartment. Yeah, you read that correctly. I couldn't make that up if I tried. I get all the gems, don't I?

Oh, before I quit talking about work and move on to other subjects, I have to share with you my "Stupid Criminal of the Week" story. One of the uniform guys ran a license plate on an Acura he just saw a guy park behind an apartment building. (The guy was acting a little strange when he saw the officer, so the officer wanted to check the tag on the car). Sure enough, the car is stolen. So he calls me and we decide to wait around to see if the guy comes back to the car. About 15 minutes later, here he comes. We grab him up and put him in handcuffs. Here is a part of our conversation:

Car Thief: "That's not my car! That's not my car!!"

Me: "Right. I know."

CT: "That's not my car!"

Me: "Yeah, I know that. That's why you're in handcuffs."

CT: "But sir, I'm telling you, that's not my car!"

We went back and forth like this for about 5 minutes and he just couldn't understand that his telling me, over and over again, that it wasn't his car simply would not help his cause. What a jackass.

Last week I treated myself to a little something nice. After months of thinking about it, I finally decided I wanted a new car. I enjoyed my old Volkswagen, but I was dying for more room. So I went out to the dealer late last week and picked up my new Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm totally digging this thing. It's the same color as my old VW, which is cool. And it has a sunroof like the old Jetta did. But it also has twice the engine, 4WD and twice the space. Bonus. I also got my new XM radio the next day. I'm enjoying the hell out of that, too. Hell, the $12, or whatever the hell it costs a month is totally worth it just for the comedy channels. Damn funny stuff. But the music is great and I got this special "bundle" XM was offering where you got the radio, car kit, home kit and speaker box so you can pretty much put your radio in three different places and enjoy it. I'll all about my cool new toys this week.

Kick ass song of the week: "Far Away" - Nickelback. I can't seem to get enough of this tune. Check it out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

YEY! You're alive and well! :) Glad to hear it. And woo hoo about the car. Now you have NO excuses for not coming to this side of the world, er, bay and visiting. Quick! Before the crab season runs out!

2:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dude - sweeet new ride! Nice!

XM though? Really? I'm a little disappointed. I don't care whether it comes with your vechiky or not. Sirius. All the way.

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Contratulations on the new car and the choice of XM (my Mom has stock in the co.) the home of the NHL and NASCAR, what more could you possibly want in life?! It's nice your new toy lets you do the driving, mine likes to chew - preferably on me! Mind out of the gutter, it's a 12 week old golden retriever puppy named Casey. Only *54* days 'till hockey season starts - YEAH!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Loved the stupid crimnal of the day comment. Reminds me of a couple of students I have worked with in the past. I just have to believe that somewhere down the line, the commen sense gene does kick in. Agree with the XM...great way to enjoy just the music without all the crap!

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home