Monday, May 15, 2006

My Weekend in Review

Saturday night I, along with a good friend from work, went downtown to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial for the annual candlelight vigil. For anyone that's never been to it, it's a very hard experience to describe, but I'll do my best.

At 8PM the ceremony begins at the memorial. Plenty of guest speakers (the Attorney General of the United States is almost always one of them - this year was no exception), and people singing inspirational songs and all the formality that goes along with that kind of event. Thousands of police officers from all over the country (including some from Canada, Australia and the UK) raising candles to salute those who have fallen. It is a very moving experience every time I go there. I took some pictures which I'll try to post sometime soon.

But after the formal ceremony has ended, picture one gigantic happy hour that consumes about a half a city block. After we've all paid our respects at the memorial wall, we walk a couple blocks down "H" St. to an area that's been fenced off and set up as a big ol' beer garden. Music, food from the largest grill I've ever seen, and plenty o' suds to keep the crowd happy. Oh, and I can't forget about the drummers and bagpipes - VERY cool indeed. "We have a piper who's down....don't worry, he's just pissed."

This year I told myself that I wasn't going to stay out too late since I had to get up early this morning and drive out to my parents' house for Mother's Day brunch. Do I listen to myself, though? Of course not. I ran into some people I knew whilst toasting the bagpipers and we all decided to hit the pub after the beer tent stopped selling for the night. (Honestly, last call at 11:30 is just wrong!). So we walked down (staggered a bit) a few blocks to my favorite watering hole in the city - Fado. I should own stock in that place. Have a few pints in there, wander around the corner for some late-night Chinese, then it's into the Metro station just in time to catch the last train out of the city. Fortunately for me I live within walking distance of a Metro rail station so I have the luxury of heading downtown, enjoying some nightlife and getting my sorry ass home without having to be concerned about DUIs and such.

Anyhow, since I was out way too late doing my best Tipsy McStagger impression, I didn't get to bed until around 4AM. But I still managed (somehow) to get up on time and make it out to Mom's for brunch. I even remembered the card and flowers! Damn, I'm a good son sometimes. Saturday night I was reminded why I love doing what I do for a living and Sunday morning I was reminded why I have one of the coolest mom's on the planet (that tasty brunch really hit the spot!).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

P- You were so much on my mind on Sat. as Max Catie and I watched respectfully as the procession went by for Det. Armel. I'm glad you weren't alone Sat. night and got to spend "quality" time with fellow police.

Wearing the Blue today

Kim

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home