Sunday, April 30, 2006

It's "Work Horse," Not "Work Whore"

Or at least I'm pretty sure that's the correct term.

I had the weekend off, so what do I do? I went to work tonight. What can I say? I'm a sucker for the cash. I work my ass off all week long (trust me, I have no ass), and you think I'd take advantage of at least a 2 day break from it. Of course not. Am I a dedicated employee, or just stupid? It's probably more like I'm a money grubbing whore. I don't have that printed on my business cards, and I'm sure it won't look great on a resume, but at least I can admit it.

Of course, there are upsides and downsides. The upside, of course, is that my wallet is a little heavier for the effort. I'd like to say that I went in tonight because I'm such a fine employee, but the bottom line is - it's all about me. Cha-Ching!

The downsides are that I could've (and probably should've) just stayed home and relaxed. This week was kind of stressful at work. And I missed a couple more playoff hockey games.

I love the playoffs. Even though Washington didn't make it this year (and we all know they will next year, right?), it's still great fun to watch. I'm totally digging two and sometimes three games on per day. Of course today I only got to watch one before I had to go to work. But it was a good one. New Jersey eliminated the Rangers and swept the series. HA! There are only a few guys at work besides me that are hockey fans. One of the street supervisors is a die-hard Rangers fan, and he's quite smug about it. All season I got to hear about how friggin' great Jagr has been for the Rangers (and we all know he was crap as a Capital). It's unfortunate that I won't get to see that smug little grin on his face Monday. I'll make sure I wear black so that I can show my sympathy for his loss. I'm good like that.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. The other downside to working on a Saturday night. No place to go for a drink afterward. By the time I got home (1AM), there was no point in trying to get to my favorite watering holes. But I suppose I'll manage with a couple bottles of my favorite brew and my trusty pint glass. I can crank up the stereo and it's the next best thing. Necessity is truly the mother of invention. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home