Tuesday, February 28, 2006

OOOOPS!

After another long day at work, I'm heading home, later than usual. I needed to stop off at the grocery store and pick up some things - you know, essentials like a steak, a bag of pretzel sticks, some OJ and bread. Should be an easy enough thing to do. Although I'm not thrilled to have left work later than I should have, I'm consoled by the knowledge that I should be in and out of the store and home in time to make a quick bite to eat before the opening face off of the Capitals / Maple Leafs game. But things can't possibly go that smoothly for me, can they?

I pulled into the parking lot of the store behind another happy motorist. This brain surgeon is at least a couple car lengths in front of me. She spies someone getting ready to back out of a parking space, but she's already gone past it. So what does she do? Throws it in reverse and starts moving backward (quickly) toward me. I guess she didn't see those headlights behind her. And she obviously didn't hear me honking the air horn at her because (yep, you guessed it), BANG! She backs right into the front bumper of my police cruiser. Of course, I'm about as far from thrilled as I could be. I radio my dispatcher about the accident and then I contact the local police. I get out and talk to the other driver. At first she seems completely irritated by the fact that the police were called to come out an write an accident report. Then I have to state what should have been the obvious to her. "Uh, ma'am, you backed into a police car." That shut her up quickly. Sure, my car is unmarked, but only cab drivers, senior citizens and cops drive Ford Crown Victorias. And I'm clearly not the first two of those.

So the local constabulary comes out and gets all the information for the report and I get everything I need. Then I finally get to go in the store, buy my stuff and get my ass home.

I get home, let Jake outside, fix some dinner and crack open a beer (not exactly in that order). I was a couple minutes late turning the hockey game on, but I managed to salvage my evening.

Capitals 5, Maple Leafs 3. At least somebody won tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home