Friday, March 03, 2006

Surreal? Or Just Plain Stupid?

I was up entirely too late last night talking with a good friend from Ohio. Marissa is one of my oldest and dearest friends in the world. You know, one of those friends that's moved halfway across the country and back, someone you haven't physically seen in years, but can still pick up the phone and talk to like you ran into them yesterday. Now that we've established who I was talking to, let's get on to what we were talking about - it's pretty damn funny (at least it was to us).

I can't for the life of me remember how the hell we even got on the subject (especially since I'm hardly a fan of the show), but we started talking about that ridiculous show on VH1, "The Surreal Life." We quickly decided that it would be in our best interest to form our own "Surreal World" casts - the "C" and "D" List celebrities that we'd like to have on our own version of the show. After much thought (I haven't had this much trouble picking teams since I played volleyball in school), a few beers and too many laughs, we came up with our own Ultimate Surreal World casts. If anyone from VH1 is listening, pay attention, these will get you an assload of ratings.

My List:
  1. Gedde Watanabe - "Long Duk Dong" from 'Sixteen Candles' (How cool would he be on the show, right?)
  2. Demond Wilson - "Lamont" from TV's 'Sanford & Son' ("You big dummy!")
  3. Jan-Michael Vincent - from TV's "Airwolf" (I figured he could use a paycheck)
  4. "Macho Man" Randy Savage - my way of trying to save a washed up pro wrestler from having to do Slim Jim commercials for the rest of his life
  5. Katherine Helmond - "Mona" from 'Who's the Boss?' (at first I thought she was dead and I'd have to pick someone else, but fortunately she's still alive and I would imagine her calendar is free enough to participate in the show)
  6. Juice Newton - we decided that we needed a musician in our casts and she was the first obscure musician I could think of (I actually couldn't stop laughing for 5 solid minutes after selecting good old Juice)
  7. Mayim Bialik - TV's "Blossom" (it was a toss up between her and k.d. lang)

I'm pretty proud of my list of 7 strangers picked to live in a house......blah, blah, whatever the hell else they say about the show. Moving right along.....

Marissa's List:

  1. Ben Stein - OK, so Ben isn't a "C" or "D" list celebrity, but we both agreed that he'd be completely cool to have as a cast member
  2. "Dog" the Bounty Hunter - this was 100% Marissa's pick and I still think it was hilarious
  3. Tina Yothers - from TV's "Family Ties" (just like my #3, I'm sure she needs the work)
  4. Darva Conger - Marissa wanted a completely stupid and annoying woman in her cast. I suggested Fran Drescher, but was vetoed in favor of this knucklehead
  5. Kip Winger - Marissa's choice for the "musician." We all remember "Winger" from the 80's, don't we?
  6. William Hung - boil on the ass of American Idol. I don't know why she chose this guy. Maybe because it would be fun to watch "Dog" kick his ass, I dunno.
  7. David Soul - good call picking "Hutch," but I guess Starsky has to find his own work

Looking back on last night's conversation, we probably did spend entirely too much time talking about this incredibly stupid concept of a show, but it was damn funny. Although I'm sure it was a lot funnier when we were talking about it that it is to be reading about it now. Maybe it was the beer - who knows? I just thought I'd share. Any Exec's with VH1 can feel free to e-mail me and we can discuss my production fees, 'cause I think we all know I'm on to something here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home