Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I Shouldn't Find This Funny

Well, actually, it's not so much the event that I find funny (because it really isn't), but I think the statement regarding it is pretty damn hilarious.

I just read an article about some Sloth bears in a zoo in the Netherlands who chased down a Barbary macaque (a large monkey), attacked it and ate it in front of horrified zoo visitors. Apparently those animals have shared the same enclosure at the zoo for quite some time. Yeah, splendid idea guys. I guess it never occurred to anyone that bears attack smaller animals and eat them, huh? But I found the remark made by a zoo official to be kind of funny:

"In an area where Sloth bears, great apes and Barbary macaques have coexisted peacefully for a long time, the harmony was temporarily disturbed during opening hours on Sunday."

Really? The harmony was "temporarily disturbed," huh? They coexisted peacefully until the monkey tried to stiff them on a bet and the bears had to teach him a lesson. I suppose the harmony was quickly restored when the other animals and zoo visitors burst into an impromptu version of Cumbaya. And all was well and good once again. But just to be on the safe side, the surviving monkeys were moved to a different enclosure where their harmonious existence wouldn't be threatened.

In a related story, the National Zoo here in Washington has decided to cancel its plans to have Tai-Shan the panda share its enclosure with a Komodo Dragon.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

P - Once I got over the gross out factor. I too laughed my fool head off (I'm easily amused). What gets me is the Sloth Bear - Sloth "slow-moving, slow, lazy, idle" How did they actually get the idea, interest, and energy to carry out their nefarious plot? Enquiring minds want to know!

Weekend plans?

9:45 AM  
Blogger P. said...

Never underestimate the sloth. Sure, they seem slow, lazy and idle, but make no mistake - they are vicious, soul-less killers.

Weekend plans consist of mowing my lawn (excitement never stops around here), and whatever else I come up with.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want trade your lawn for my soccer game, laundry, fertilizing the newly heavily pruned bushes, dinner for incoming relatives, laundry, planting flower boxes (I like doing those, immediate gratification)oh and did I mention LAUNDRY? ;)

Maybe DaVinci Code da movie or Cars for fun or I could wash my car. :) -

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home