Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Forgive The Urgency, But Hurry Up And Wait

"Look After You" - the Fray

I figured I'd throw a line from one of their songs on here today as I just saw their show last week up in Columbia. Good time. The Fray really puts on a good show and I'm happy I went, despite the fact that I had a cold for most of last week. Hell, a few $9 beers at the pavillion will make you forget all about illness.

So NHL free agency began on Sunday. And lots of players landing on new teams. I was surprised to see some, not so surprised about others. I really didn't expect that Drury AND Briere would have left Buffalo. I figured one or the other, but not both. The Rangers did well to sign Drury and Scott Gomez from New Jersey. But I still hate that team. Let's talk about Washington's moves....

The first two to be announced were Tom Poti and Viktor Kozlov. Both are decent pick ups. I was more jazzed with picking up Poti, since everyone knows that the Caps are really hurting for blue line help, than I was about Kozlov. Kozlov is good, but not stellar. But I really didn't expect to see Washington bring in any superstar names. I think they'll definitely be good additions to the roster.

Now, I couldn't be happier about the signing of Michael Nylander to a 4 year deal. I liked him when he played here before and I hated to see him go in the trade to Boston a few years back. I was hoping that we'd pick a playmaking center during the off season and damn if the front office didn't grant my wish! Although today I read that the Edmonton Oilers are upset over Nylander signing in Washington because, according to Edmonton, they felt they already had a deal in place to add him to their club. A complaint was filed with the league and I forsee some kind of legal action behind this. If this somehow works out that Nylander's contract with the Capitals is void and he has to report to Edmonton, I'm gonna be pissed. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out.

I don't really have much in the way of a wish list in terms of "I'd like to see the Caps pick up (fill in high profile name here)." Sure, there were some big names hitting the free agent market this year, but I really didn't expect that we'd land the likes of Gomez, Drury, Kariya, etc. If nothing else, I'm realistic. I had only hoped that the management would land some hard working players that would add some experience to what's been a pretty young team for the past couple of years. And they seemed to have done that. I hope they don't just look good on paper when October rolls around.

So I caved in to all the hype last week. Friday night I wandered out to the Apple store up in Columbia and picked up an iPhone. Let me tell you folks, believe the hype. This is one of the coolest things I've ever bought. I was already an AT&T customer, so it was easy to just go get one and have the service switched from my old phone to the new one. I know some people who have Verizon and Sprint phones that wanted the iPhone, but couldn't get out of their existing contracts without paying out the ass. What a drag. I can say that despite how much I love this thing, I still don't know that I would've camped out and waited in insanely long lines when they went on sale at 6PM like so many people did. I went to the Apple store shortly after 9 that night, walked right in, swaggered up to the counter and bought one without any hassle. I only had to wait the 10 or 15 seconds it took for my credit card to be approved. Screw waiting!

Anyhow, time to go out and play some ball with Murphy who's been patiently waiting here for Dad to finish typing. I hope everyone has a good 4th of July. Adios muchachos!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So.. how's the new toy??? I too am glad to see Nylander back, I heard rumors of Yashin??? OH no not again, maybe it's just the drugs - yeah must be the drugs - whew. Just swimmin along here healing, whining, sleeping, etc... Maybe next week I will get my driving rights back - then watch out ha Ha HAAAAA

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home